Thursday, August 2, 2012

          "It is a truth universally acknowledged, that a single man in possession of a good fortune must be in want of a wife." The first sentence of Pride and Prejudice by Jane Austen made me wonder what exactly this book was going to be about so I jumped right in. After reading just the first couple pages I already can see how different Mr. and Mrs. Bennet are. It would seem that all Mrs. Bennet cares about is money while Mr. Bennet seems to genuinly care for his five daughters Jane, Elizabeth, Mary, Catherine .and Lydia. Mrs. Bennet announces that Mr. Bingley, a man of large fortune from north of England, is moving into Netherfield, an estate in the town where the Bennet's live. She wishes to marry one of her children, not for their happiness but for money, so she asks her husband to get aquainted with him. It is obvious that Mr. Bennet loves all of his daughters but favors Lizzy and is hoping that Mr. Bingley will like her best.

           Despite Mr. Bennet's wishes, at the ball it is clear that Mr. Bingley favors Jane and Jane likes him as well. I don't know what to make of his companion Mr. Darcy though, he seems stuck up and extremely prideful. Mr. Bingley seems like such a nice person that it is hard to believe that Mr. Darcy could really be such a snob since they are such good friends. I think that something will end up happening between Elizabeth and Mr. Darcy though I don't know whether it will be positive or negative. So far the thirteen year old in me is having trouble getting into the book because the language makes it hard to understand so I googled it and found this video that helped me understand the book better.



No comments:

Post a Comment